Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dance

One of my very close friends recently joined Salsa classes. Its a place where they teach all forms of western dance forms. My girlfriend who is an instructor there, was the one who inspired my friend to join in. Both of them wanted me to go their class and watch them dance. I readily accepted as i was thoroughly jobless and how could I miss a valuable chance to comment and criticize on people i don't know. My friends knew about this but still invited me for the rhythmic evening( when was the last time someone invited Jay Leno to a party of politicians and expected him not to comment!!)
I must say, at the end of the 60 to 90 minute session, I was impressed!! Firstly it was the first time i saw a live performance of salsa. Secondly moving your body in complicated steps, synchronizing perfectly with the Mexican tunes, is surely something worth appreciating. While watching them dance, my mind wandered to the dances of our country, especially my state. It has the usual dose of classical and folk forms but very few are forms used for socializing. Unlike western forms, our dances are not society oriented. If we just move up Gujarat, Punjab and most other states have dances where people are involved without the need of any expertise, Garba, Dandiya to name a few. Its my personal opinion( what were you expecting in MY blog) that these socializing dances brings the society closer and makes it a denser unit. It is something which lets people interact, have fun and may be inspire some to pursue arts. I really wanted people to meet up, dance and go home instead of orkut or FB!! But i suddenly realized i was not in a Karan Johar movie!!
If you ask me wether I was inspired to dance and join classes for it? I would say no! The classicals are not my cup of tea, the unruly, eccentric, epileptic is what im into! And im happy with that as it gives me a very large canvas for creative expansion( Just wanted to bring in some art jargon). With that i think i will end. So until next time keep those feet tapping and those beats going!!!

1 comment:

Darshan said...

Good one Kail i think the kind of dance was well projected on mahajanas stage.